Why Authentic Leadership is important in organisations
Authentic leadership is an approach that emphasises the development of a leader’s legitimacy through honest and open relationships with their followers. Hence, they are positive people who promote an open and honest culture amongst their people.
In this article we identify the positive impact of Authentic Leadership in an organisation. Furthermore, we also look at the key traits of an authentic leader.
What does Authenticity mean?
The definition of authenticity refers to the proven fact that something is legitimate or real. ‘
It means from the source or origin. It is the raw, naked, unhindered expression of the soul. That’s why we say ‘being authentic’ not ‘doing authentic’.
We see authenticity in people from all walks of life, who are really comfortable in their own skin. They say things with compassion and awareness. Hence they are not afraid to be honest and give constructive feedback. Finally, they feel human and natural and are able to build sustainable relationships. As result, these are the people we trust in life – because they are real.
It is important that we create an authentic and open culture in an organisation. Shown below are some key reasons why:-
Organisational Culture – Authentic
Studies have long shown how authenticity in the workplace positively impacts:-
• Job satisfaction.
• Employee engagement.
• Organisational and Employee performance.
• Positive development of strong, sustainable and trusting relationships.
• Trust, respect and transparency.
Organisational Culture – In-authentic
Hence the effects of In-Authentic leadership in the workplace:
• Prevents innovation and progress.
• Creates mistrust, disrespect and apprehension in a team or across the organisation.
• Poor communication leading to a lack of honesty and transparency.
• Causes people to feel stressed resulting in higher absenteeism and/or turnover of staff.
• People feel dictated to and un-empowered.
Self Reflection and Authentic Leadership
Key Traits of an Authentic Leader:
Authentic leadership requires leaders to self-reflect and understand four key components:
1. Self-awareness – own strengths, limitations, and values.
2. Transparency – being honest and straightforward with others.
3. Fair-mindedness – how people are managed and conflicts are dealt with i.e no hidden agendas.
4. Strong Values and moral perspective – values that drives someone to ‘do the right thing’.
‘Authentic leadership breeds an environment where people know they are empowered to manage and take their own paths.’
If you want to know more about Authentic Leadership and are interested in developing an authentic organisational culture, contact me to discuss on 07702 818665. https://afcconsultants.co.uk/personaldevelopment/behind-the-mask/
Finally, you can also read my self-help book ‘Behind the Mask’ about authenticity and how to live an authentic, successful and happy life and make the necessary changes to achieve it. https://behind-the-mask-book.com/