How to overcome the fear of public speaking!
When you need to get up and speak do you feel butterflies in your stomach? Sweaty palms? Dry mouth? Shaking knees and hands? You are not alone. Fear of public speaking is number one and Death is Number 4.
Below I share 10 key tips for public speaking.
- Before you begin, drink some tepid water, take a few deep breaths and visualise your success.
- The audience wants you to succeed – so just treat them as your friends and speak in a conversational manner. You don’t use notes when you speak to your friend, so don’t use them now. At the most, you may use some note cards that include some keywords for you to remember.
- You can relax as well as your audience if you remember to SMILE! Everyone is more at ease when they see your smile. Better yet, find some humour in the situation and get everyone to laugh, including you.
- Practice, practice, practice. Getting familiar with your material by speaking often. This really helps reduce your tension.
- Find ways to speak – volunteer as a committee chair, lead a meeting, attend networking meetings so you can introduce yourself often and get comfortable hearing the sound of your voice and words.
- Then ask yourself the big question: “What’s the worst thing that could happen? No, you won’t faint, or , forget what you plan to say. Remember when you speak to any audience, it is about them, not you. So be present with them as you would when speaking to your friend.
- A great way to calm yourself is to arrive early and greet people as they enter the room. This is a way to relax and encourage others to feel friendly towards you before you even start your speech.
- Think about what you are going to wear. Choose clothing that makes you look good and feel good. Most people delineate their thoughts visually and your audience will form an opinion about you after looking at you for 30 seconds.
- If you really want to be a masterful speaker, hire a professional coach – like me.
- Finally, focus on having fun!!!
If you would like to learn more about how to become more proficient as a public speaker, call me for a free 30-minute consultation on 07702 818665. Alternatively, take a look at our Presentation Skills course https://afcconsultants.co.uk/personaldevelopment/presentation-skills/ and fill in your contact details on https://afcconsultants.co.uk/contact/ to arrange a suitable date and time to discuss further.
I look forward to hearing from you.